Unmeaning Flattery
www.UnmeaningFlattery.com

Home | Blog | Search | RSS | Contact

The Danger of Grapes

Friday 10/28/2005 5:00 AM

I've been meaning to write about this for a while.

DO NOT GIVE GRAPES OR RAISINS TO YOUR DOG(S).

The super short version is even as little as a single grape or raisin can cause renal failure in your dog. When I saw this, I almost fell out of my chair. We gave grapes to Chaunce for years — he loved them! Those and cherry tomatoes.

With the cherry tomatoes, I'd always have to pierce the skin with my tooth and then he would take it from my hand once he could smeel what's inside. The grapes, though... no hesitation. He'd just them one at a time and start munching away.

So why didn't he ever have kidney problems? Don't know. And because scientists still don't understand the biochemical mechanism by which this food as poison operates, it's better to be safe then sorry. So if you've never given your dog(s) raisins or grapes, fine, don't start. If you have in the past and there weren't any problems, count your blessings and don't do it again. And, finally, if you just gave Spot a handful of grapes last nite and he didn't look too well this morning, get him into the vet — STAT! Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Everyone worries about chocolate for dogs, but any dog can safely consume up to 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Not so for grapes and raisins.

More details on your Link of the Day.


And in keeping with the theme of this week's artistic renderings of images, I backtracked and re-did the Sammy image from yesterday.

Tomorrow, your friend and author gets the treatment.

Link of the Day: Raisins and grapes can be harmful to dogs.

File Under: Dog Health Alert; Dog News; Link of the Day
Music: Depeche Mode "Playing the Angel"

Permalink | Comments | Trackback

Previous Entry | Next Entry


©1969-2020 Peter Stuart Lakanen. All rights reserved.
Please report problems to webmaster.